Wondering what are the hot toys for 2016? What are the best Tech toys for 2016? The coolest STEM for the season? What to get your toys are best for toddlers or teens? What will be the most popular toys for Christmas? Then you have come to the right place!
The Toy Insider released its top toy picks for Holiday 2016, and I got an exclusive sneak peek as a veteran of the Parent Panel. After looking at thousands of toys on the market for decades, they know what will be the holiday drivers for 2016 and here are your lists. Print it out and get shopping because some of these toys will probably be sold out soon! (Note, images and Amazon hyperlinks are affiliate.)
For the 2016 STEM picks, these are the top picks for toys that offer play, value and education in the area of science, technology, engineering and math! (Don’t forget to check out my posts on the most Popular Toys for 2016 and the Top 12 Tech Toys for the holiday season!)
Top STEM Toys for 2016
3Doodler Start (3Doodler)
- With the new 3Doodler Start, kids can finally bring all of their wonderful and imaginative ideas to life in 3D.
- This 3D printing pen extrudes an ecofriendly plastic that cools and hardens rapidly, allowing kids to literally draw in the air.
- Specially designed to be clean and safe for kids, with no hot parts or messy resins or glues.
- Easy to use thanks to one speed, one temperature, and no software or technical knowledge required – just turn it on, insert a strand and start doodling in 3D.
- Ages: 8+
- MSRP: $49.99
- Available: Amazon, Target, Barnes & Noble
Project MC2 We Heart Chemistry Kit (Alex Brands)
- Project MC2 We Heart Chemistry Kit gives kids supplies and instructions to conduct fizzy, foamy, colorchanging chemistry experiments.
- Conduct 10 awesome experiments with everything in the kit and some additional household materials.
- Make ordinary powders fizz and foam, concoct a color changing mixture, a rolling wave, a colorchanging eruption, a glowinthedark
test tube, and even mix your own to see what you can create.
- Ages: 6+
- MSRP: $25.50
- ● Available: Toys R Us, Target, Amazon, alexbrands.com
Barbie STEM Kit (Thames & Kosmos)
- Thames & Kosmos partners with Mattel for a science kit featuring Barbie and Nikki.
- This project kit includes plastic building pieces and science experiment materials, as well as a Barbie or Nikki doll, to create a complete experience based on the concept “You Dream It… You Make It!”
- Kids will build a washing machine, rotating closet, and more, all compatible with the Barbie Dreamhouse. Plus, design fashions for
Barbie to wear.
- Learn about chromatics, engineering, and more.
- Ages: 4+
- MSRP: $29.95
- Available: Toys R Us, Target, Walmart, Amazon.
- Build your own video games with Bloxels!
- Create and animate play spaces, characters and objects because you are the artist, fame designer, storyteller, programmer, publisher, and player.
- The physical pieces in the Bloxels game set work with the free Bloxels Builder app to digitize your creations, put them onscreen and make them playable.
- Each block represents a different element of the video game,
so kids can place blocks on the grid, scan the grid into the app, and watch their
video game level take shape!
- Play levels created by other players online.
- MSRP: $49.99
- Ages: 8+
- Available: Amazon
￼￼Geckobot (Thames & Kosmos)
- This wallclimbing robot has a motorized air suction system that enables it to walk vertically up and down perfectly smooth surfaces, such as glass, plastic, whiteboards, and glossy laminates.
- The batterypowered motor drives an innovative gear system that produces a rotating motion, making the legs move in motions that mimic a real gecko.
- A fullcolor manual guides through model building with stepbystep illustrated instructions and scientific information and explanations.
- Ages: 8+
- MSRP: $49.95
- Available: Toys R Us, Amazon, fatbraintoys.com
Mighty Makers Director’s Cut Building Set (K’NEX)
- Film the next big movie with Lily and her dog, Zoom, with the Director’s Cut Building Set.
- Build the stage where the video shoot takes place. Once filming has ended, rebuild the stage into a theater to watch the final cut!
- Have a mobile phone, or small tablet? Kids can film your own movie by building the device stand to hold your phone or tablet, and watch it back with your friends and family!
- Ages: 7+
- MSRP: $34.99
- Available: Toys R Us, Amazon
Roominate Cotton Candy Carnival (PlayMonster)
- This STEM kit encourages girls to build and play while learning important engineering concepts.
- Kids can use more than 145 snaptogether pieces to create a ferris wheel, carousel, swings, and game tent.
- Then, attach two motors to bring the rides to life.
- Kids can also engage in imaginative play with the Bettina and Jenna dolls.
- Learn all about intimidating STEM concepts, like physics, engineering, and more.
- Ages: 8+
- MSRP: $44.99
- Available: Amazon, fatbraintoys.com
Code & Go Robot Mouse Coding Activity Set (Learning Resources)
- The race is on to build hands on coding skills!
- Kids can build a maze, and then use the coding cards to create a stepbystep path for Colby, the Programmable Robot Mouse.
- Program the sequence of steps, and then watch Colby race to find the cheese!
- This deluxe set includes 30 doublesided coding cards, 10 doublesided activity cards, cheese wedge, and more.
- Activity Guide to provide the perfect handson introduction to coding concepts.
- Colby lightsup, makes sounds, and features two speeds along with colorful buttons to match coding cards for easy programming and sequencing.
- Add multiple players with Jack, the Programmable Robot Mouse, sold separately.
- Ages: 5+
- MSRP: $59.99
- Available: Amazon, Walmart, fatbraintoys.com
Think & Learn CodeAPillar (FisherPrice)
- Preschoolers can arrange CodeAPillar’s easytoconnect segments in endless combinations to send CodeaPillar on his path: forward, left, right, or even wait for a couple seconds before moving again.
- Kids can configure CodeAPillar to make him reach the targets they set up throughout the room.
- Kids will learn sequencing, programming, and more building blocks of coding.
- Ages: 3-6
- MSRP: $49.99
- Available: Target, Toys “R” Us, ￼￼Walmart, Amazon
VEX Robotics Zip Flyer (Hexbug)
- Ready, set, take to the sky! The VEX Robotics Zip Flyer is a reenvisioned take on airborne adventures.
- This robotic gadget is capable of shooting propellers more than 30 feet in the air once kids build the structure using snaptogether pieces.
- Pull the zipcord stick to release, the faster you pull, the higher they’ll go.
- The excitement doesn’t stop there, the VEX Robotics Zip Flyer can be built for both handheld and
tabletop action; two ways to build, two ways to launch.
- Once it’s up and running, this model is fun for hours. Includes 3 propeller flyers.
- Challenge yourself and your friends, how far can you make your propellers
- Ages: 8+
- MSRP: $12.99
- Available: Amazon, Target, Toys “R” Us